יום שני, 15 במרץ 2010

Practice #1 Gerunds and Infinitives

Complete the sentence with the correct form (infinitive or gerund) of the verb.

1. I intend _________ to Brazil in August. (go)

2. I arranged _________ my vacation during the last two weeks. (take)

3. I considered __________ to Venezuela or Argentina first. (go)

4. But I decided _________ them for next year. (leave)

5. The government has demanded me ________ a visa to go to Brazil. (get)

6. That involves _________ in a long line at the consulate. (stand)

7. I didn't mind ________ the $45 fee. (pay)

8. But I hate _______ in lines. (wait)

9. I also detest _________ passport photos. (get)

10. I really want ________ the country, so I did it. (see)

11. I haven't begun _________ yet. (pack)

12. I'll start soon because I can't stand ________ in a rush. (pack)

13. I remembered _________ my neighbor to take care of my dog. (ask)

14. He doesn't really mind _________ behind. (stay)

15. But he always loves ________ us come back! (see)

Practice #2 Gerunds and Infinitives

Complete the sentences with the correct form (infinitive or gerund) of the verb.

Early automobiles

Many inventors were trying ________ gas-powered, self-propelled
build

vehicles in the late 1800's. A French inventor succeeded in

________ a steam-powered tricycle in 1769. A German engineer,
create

Nikolaus August Otto, is known for _________ the four-stroke
invent

gas-powered engine in 1876. Both Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz

managed ________ and _______ autos in Germany in the 1880s.
build sell

By 1898 there were 50 companies responsible for ________ cars in
market

the United States alone. That number happened __________ to
expand

241 by 1908. It was in 1908 when Henry Ford started _____ make

history. It was in that year that he managed ________ together the
put

first assembly line and _______ the price of automobiles so that
lower

everyone could buy one. He began ________ arrange

workers so that they could each do a small part of the job in sequence. This prevented ________ repeat


a lot of unnecessary steps in the assembly process. By 1913 he managed

________ 250,000 cars a year. His first mass-produced car, the
produce

Model T, guaranteed ______ modest-incomed Americans decent
give

transportation for a reasonable ($500 USD!) price.

Henry Ford went on ________ the U.S. automobile industry for
lead

many years. Though he tried, he failed ________ elected to
get

the U.S. Senate in 1918. His company was started with just $28,000

and, by 1913, managed ________ dividends of $11 million.
pay

While Ford declined _______ away more than a modest amount
give

during his lifetime, the Ford Foundation arranges ________
donate

millions of dollars each year to deserving causes.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה