יום שישי, 19 במרץ 2010
יום רביעי, 17 במרץ 2010
Turn the sentences into passive voice
- They didn’t give me the money.
- Has anybody told you what to do?
- People believe that the company is losing a lot of money.
- We added up the money and found out that it was correct.
- I’m afraid we have sold all our copies but we have ordered more.
- We know that the expedition reached the South Pole in May.
- He likes people to call him “sir”.
- They expect the weather will be good tomorrow.
- Don’t touch this switch.
- It is impossible to do this. (use can’t)
- We don’t allow smoking.
- I think they should have offered Tom the job
- They urged the government to create more jobs.
- You will have to get someone to see it.
- You have to see it to believe it
יום שני, 15 במרץ 2010
Practice #1 Gerunds and Infinitives
Complete the sentence with the correct form (infinitive or gerund) of the verb.
1. I intend _________ to
2. I arranged _________ my vacation during the last two weeks. (take)
3. I considered __________ to
4. But I decided _________ them for next year. (leave)
5. The government has demanded me ________ a visa to go to
6. That involves _________ in a long line at the consulate. (stand)
7. I didn't mind ________ the $45 fee. (pay)
8. But I hate _______ in lines. (wait)
9. I also detest _________ passport photos. (get)
10. I really want ________ the country, so I did it. (see)
11. I haven't begun _________ yet. (pack)
12. I'll start soon because I can't stand ________ in a rush. (pack)
13. I remembered _________ my neighbor to take care of my dog. (ask)
14. He doesn't really mind _________ behind. (stay)
15. But he always loves ________ us come back! (see)
Practice #2 Gerunds and Infinitives
Complete the sentences with the correct form (infinitive or gerund) of the verb.
Many inventors were trying ________ gas-powered, self-propelled
vehicles in the late 1800's. A French inventor succeeded in
________ a steam-powered tricycle in 1769. A German engineer,
Nikolaus August Otto, is known for _________ the four-stroke
gas-powered engine in 1876. Both Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz
managed ________ and _______ autos in
By 1898 there were 50 companies responsible for ________ cars in
the United States alone. That number happened __________ to
241 by 1908. It was in 1908 when Henry Ford started _____ make
history. It was in that year that he managed ________ together the
first assembly line and _______ the price of automobiles so that
everyone could buy one. He began ________ arrange
workers so that they could each do a small part of the job in sequence. This prevented ________ repeat
a lot of unnecessary steps in the assembly process. By 1913 he managed
________ 250,000 cars a year. His first mass-produced car, the
Model T, guaranteed ______ modest-incomed Americans decent
transportation for a reasonable ($500 USD!) price.
Henry Ford went on ________ the
many years. Though he tried, he failed ________ elected to
and, by 1913, managed ________ dividends of $11 million.
While Ford declined _______ away more than a modest amount
during his lifetime, the Ford Foundation arranges ________
millions of dollars each year to deserving causes.
יום חמישי, 4 במרץ 2010
Translate the following:
Lose one's mind
Make a huge racket
Have a fit
Answer the questions:
1. What upsets Manny? Give two examples.
2. What is "sibling rivalry"? (find the definition) What are its main causes and solutions? (in your opinion)
1.Read the article:
2. Complete the chart
| || || |
3.Check whether Rodrick, Greg and Manny possess the qualities attributed to them in the article.
יום רביעי, 3 במרץ 2010
יום שני, 1 במרץ 2010
Active or Passive Quiz
1 I ate a piece of chocolate cake.
2 The librarian read the book to the students.
3 The money was stolen.
4 They are paid on Fridays.
5 The movie is being made in Hollywood.
6 I washed my car three weeks ago.
7 His hair was cut by a professional.
8 I will introduce you to my boss this week.
9 It would have been fixed on the weekend.
10 The national anthem is being sung by Jason this time.
Active to passive Transformations
1. They make shoes in that factory.
Shoes ____________________in that factory.
2. People must not leave bicycles in the driveway.
Bicycles _______________________________ in the driveway.
3. They built that skyscraper in 1934.
That skyscraper ______________________ in 1934.
4. The students will finish the course by July.
The course____________________________ by July.
5. They are repairing the streets this month.
The streets ____________________________this month.
6. They make these tools of plastic.
These tools ______________________________of plastic.
7. They have finished the new product design.
The new product design______________________________ .
8. They were cooking dinner when I arrived.
Dinner____________________________________________ when I arrived.
9. Smithers painted 'Red Sunset' in 1986.
'Red Sunset' _______________________________________in 1986 by Smithers.
10.Did the plan interest you?
___________________________________ in the plan?
11.They had finished the preparations by the time the guests arrived.
The preparations ________________________________by the time the guests
12.You should take care when working on electrical equipment.
Care _________________________________when working on electrical
13.They are going to perform Beethoven's Fifth Symphony next weekend.
Beethoven's Fifth Symphony ____________________________________________
14.Someone will speak Japanese at the meeting.
Japanese_________________________ at the meeting.
15.Karen is going to prepare the refreshments.
The refreshments ___________________________________ by Karen.